Most people recognise the names triangle, quadrilateral, pentagon, hexagon, and octagon.
In GCSE we learn the names of polygons with up to 12 sides.
Beyond that, the names are less well-known. Few people know the mathematical name for a 23-sided shape, for example (it's an icositrigon).
To avoid this difficulty, we can name any n-sided polygon as an n-gon. For example, a 23-sided polygon is called a 23-gon.
This is an alternative name so:
- A 3-sided shape can either be called a triangle or a 3-gon.
- A 4-sided shape can either be called a quadrilateral or a 4-gon.
- And so on...
We would normally call a triangle a triangle, it would be a little odd to call it a 3-gon. But for shapes with more than 12 sides, this way of naming them is very useful.
- Regular polygons
- Interior and exterior angles of a polygon
- Quadrilateral family tree
- Pentagons - polygons with 5 sides
- Hexagons - polygons with 6 sides
- Heptagons - polygons with 7 sides
- Octagons - polygons with 8 sides
- Nonagons - polygons with 9 sides
- Decagons - polygons with 10 sides
- Hendecagons - polygons with 11 sides
- Dodecagons - polygons with 12 sides
- Other types of polygon
- Star polygons
Join the GraphicMaths Newletter
Sign up using this form to receive an email when new content is added:
angle area argand diagram cartesian equation chord circle combinations complex polygon complex power complex root cosh cosine cosine rule cube decagon derivative diagonal directrix dodecagon ellipse equilateral triangle eulers formula exponent exponential exterior angle first principles focus gradient graph hendecagon heptagon hexagon horizontal hyperbola hyperbolic function infinity interior angle inverse hyperbolic function irregular polygon isosceles trapezium isosceles triangle kite koch curve l system locus major axis minor axis newton raphson method nonagon normal octagon parabola parallelogram parametric equation pentagon perimeter permutations polar coordinates polynomial power pythagoras proof quadrilateral radians radius rectangle regular polygon rhombus root set sine sine rule sinh sloping lines solving equations solving triangles square standard curves star polygon straight line graphs symmetry tangent tanh transformations trapezium triangle turtle graphics vertical